Welcome to Artist Allen's Blog

ArtistAllen Blog


Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What is Fine Art Photography?


Some of the professional photographers on the internet were discussing what the difference is between “Fine Art” photography and just a good photograph.  I started to say that fine art photography was what I did and just a good photograph is what they do. But I was afraid they would not see the twinkle in my eye or the laugh in my voice.

But what is the difference?  My reply is that it is a matter of time.  A fine art photograph will be remembered and enjoyed 50 years from now.  Simply a good photograph will be enjoyed now, but will draw a yawn in 50 years.  The former makes a comment about the human condition, about beauty, about God, and about family relationships. The latter is about the latest technique, gadget and trendy thing.  One speaks to the heart, while the other is glitter and glitz.

I hope that I am creating fine art photography. I want to create a   portrait that will speak to the great-grandson or great-granddaughter, but also will say something to those they share it with.  Will they see the strength, the tenderness or the love? I will let you know in another 50 years or so.
Allen

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”
- Mary Oliver

No comments:

Post a Comment