Welcome to Artist Allen's Blog

ArtistAllen Blog


Sunday, June 12, 2011

International Portraits

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours in an apartment complex in Clarkston, GA that has international new arrivals in the USA.  Some of these people had absolutely wonderful faces. Many of the kids had no idea how to smile, and most were very serious.  We had an interesting set up, I took the photographs while Stacian and John printed them and handed them out on the spot.  I wonder if this was the first time many of these people had been photographed by a professional.  I kept wondering about their stories and what they have lived through, but they did not speak good English – and there were way too many countries represented for me to dream of speaking all of their languages. Once again, I realized how much joy I received just taking photographs.

In the evening, Nancy and I went to see the play “Screwtape Letters” by C.S. Lewis.  There were lots of interesting things to think and consider. It made me want to read the book again and find what I had forgotten.  One of the jewels was how holy it is just to enjoy simple, natural pleasures like taking a walk in nature or reading a good book.  I feel the need to have more of these pleasures in my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment